Opportunities to join Numeric
Numeric Board Member
We are looking to expand our board and as such are looking for people who are passionate about South African maths education and who would like to make an active contribution to the growth, governance and success of our organisation. If you fit this description and interested in applying, please click on the link: Board member description and application
The closing date for applications is Friday, 15 October 2021
2022 Coaching Internship
Numeric aims to create exciting and high impact learning environments in low-income areas, with a view to helping young South Africans excel in mathematics. Numeric coaches are university students in the three geographies that Numeric operates in, mainly Cape Town, Durban and Johannesburg with the majority training to become maths teachers. Coaches are passionate and dedicated individuals who love maths, care about investing in learners’ futures, are interested in improving themselves as teachers and have an interest in community service.
Coaches work with the same group of 20-25 Grade 7 learners throughout the year and meet with them twice a week during afternoons. Coaches are paid hourly for their time and benefit from the following training and development:
- 80 hours of initial maths content, classroom management, pedagogy, lesson planning, and teaching skills training
- 60 hours of ongoing development during the internship year, including one-on-one mentorship, formal and informal teaching observations, and ongoing skills development training
- 100 hours of in-class teaching practice in one of Numeric’s after-school programs
By becoming a Numeric Coach, you will improve the lives of learners in the following ways:
- Learners gain confidence in mathematics and develop additional maths content knowledge
- Learners look up to their coaches and gain a role model
- Learners gain an opportunity to make maths fun and see the benefits of extra practice
To apply to become a coach in one of the three geographies, please select one of the options below.
The closing date for applications is Friday, 8 October 2021 at 5pm